Harmonica Pierre and Piano Bill
IF (A Picture Paints A Thousand Words)
Pierre Herbineaux, harmonica
William Penn, piano
LISTEN TO and download individual tracks and the entire CD via Amazon.com
AUR CD 3013
$16.95 (includes free shipping in the US), additional charge for overseas.
Pierre Herbineaux, harmonica & William Penn, piano
From Blues to Bach.
"Herbineaux et Penn réailsent un mélange harmonieux qui fait des deux hommes des poètes de la musique."
Nelly Brousmiche, Le Rappel, Belgium, 18 Février 1994.
This project began when, in April 1993, Pierre Herbineaux, then a guest artist at the University of Arizona School of Music, met with Dr. William Penn, visiting professor of composition at the University of Arizona. Mr. Herbineaux adapted "A Cornfield In July and the River," one of Penn's newer compositions, for the harmonica and, in October ‘93, they premiered the harmonica and piano version of "Cornfield" as part of a chamber music concert of the works of William Penn at the University of Arizona/ Tucson. It was that particular concert that served as the springboard for the establishment of the duo. Since that concert, Herbineaux and Penn have performed numerous concerts in the USA, as well as in Belgium and London, England where they were invited to Larry Adler’s 80th birthday celebration at Geroge Martin’s newly built Air Recording Studios. The duo considered limiting their repertoire to the classical field, but they had so much fun playing light classical and (as Penn coined it) "Cabaret Pop" music that they decided to adandon the strictly classical format for one of more fun and accessibility for a wide variety of audiences.
Herbineaux and Penn have recently appeared on SONY/ BMG's 4CD Box Set "The 2nd Smooth Jazz Avenue, The Greatest Moments in Smooth Jazz History" and Universal Music's 4 CD Box Set "Living With The Classics."
1. Gypsy Harmonica (Herbineaux & Penn) (1:56)
2. Harlem Nocturne (Earl Hagen) (4:48)
3. Main Theme From Schindler's List (John Williams) (4:18)
4. Minuet in G (Beethoven, arr. William Penn) (2:16)
5. Hora Staccato (Dinicu) (2:03)
6. If (a picture paints a thousand words) (David Gates) (2:17)
7. Ballade Au Parc (Herbineaux & Penn) (4:31)
8. Summertime (George Gershwin) (3:53)
9. Thaïs´ Meditation (from Thaïs) (Jules Massenet, arr. William Penn) (3:44)
10. Waltz for L.A. (William Penn) (1:35)
11. Air On The G String (Bach, arr. William Penn) (4:08)
12. España (Chabrier, arr. William Penn) (1:52)
13. A Cornfield in July And the River (William Penn) (7:21)
14. Csárdás (4:46)
Arizona Blues Train
A concept album that depicts some stories and various aspects of Arizona.
Welcome aboard the Herbineaux and Penn Arizona Blues Train. All aboard - toot - toot! Pierre
Herbineaux and William Penn will take the listener on a musical
fantasy journey via their Arizona Blues Train. H & P travel
throughout The Big Country of Arizona, from the mysterious and ghostly
Phantom Ranch located in the river valley of the Grand Canyon in
northern Arizona, to a colorful early summer Mexican festival in the
Southern Arizona city of Tucson (La Fiesta de Tucson).
1. The Cowboy (P. Herbineaux & W. Penn) (2:39)
2. Flight of the Killer Bee (R. Korsakoff, arr. by P. Herbineaux & W. Penn) (1:54)
3. Phantom Ranch (P. Herbineaux & W. Penn) (4:24)
4. Miss Kitty's European Waltz (Gounod, arr. P. Herbineaux & W. Penn) (2:34)
5. Arizona Anne (P. Herbineaux & W. Penn) (3:15)
6. Arizona Blues Train (P. Herbineaux & W. Penn) (4:10)
7. Desert Bloom (P. Herbineaux & W. Penn) (3:35)
8. La Fiesta de Tucson (P. Herbineaux & W. Penn) (3:37)
9. Irwin's Otters (P. Herbineaux & W. Penn) (3:11)
10. I Dream About You (P. Herbineaux & W. Penn) (3:16)
11. And Along Came Marie (P. Herbineaux & W. Penn) (2:52)
12. The Big Country (P. Herbineaux & W. Penn) (5:12)
13. Slippery Sally (P. Herbineaux & W. Penn) (4:10)
AUR CD 214